If you’re lucky enough to have majestic oaks trees in your backyard you will know that when summer draws to an end your lawn will be covered in acorns.
For some people this isn’t a problem, looking out and admiring the view is a great way to relax.
For others, it is a nightmare, particularly if you use the area regularly for walking on, entertaining, or playing ball games.
We decided to find out how to clean up acorns in yard, write some handy hints and review the best products, manual and electric, to help make the job easier.
- Do Fallen Acorns Kill Your Grass?
- Best Yard Vacuum for Acorns
- Best Rake for Acorns
- Best Lawn Sweeper for Acorns
- Best scoops and claws for clearing acorns
- Buyers Guide
- Great Ideas for Fallen Acorns
- And finally
Do Fallen Acorns Kill Your Grass?
That depends. If the squirrels don’t get to them first, the lawnmower usually will. This will grind them into small pieces which will return nutrients to the soil.
If they are left lying on the grass for a long time, they could slowly turn more acidic and lower the ph level of the soil. This makes it difficult for grass to grow.
Large oak trees also cast large shadows making it difficult for grass to get enough sunlight to be healthy.
The only way to stop acorns falling is to cut oak trees back as far as possible or choose the more drastic option and cut them down.
Fallen acorns also attract squirrels and mice; they carry ticks that carry Lyme disease.
Understanding how to pick up acorns in yard doesn’t have to involve hours of back-breaking work, take a look at some of these useful products to make the task an easier one.
Best Yard Vacuum for Acorns
1. Greenworks 2 Speed 230 MPH Corded Blower/Vacuum
- Designed to provide superior mulching and high powered performance
- Powerful 12 amp motor generates 230 MPH / 375 CFM to clear debris, sticks, and leaves
- 2-speed control for better control in both blower and vacuum mode
- Converts from blower to vacuum function with no tools required. Important: Use 14 gauge 50' or 12 gauge 100' extension cord
- 4-year warranty protects your investment
This electric-powered backyard vacuum has to be the least back-breaking way of collecting pesky fallen acorns.
It is quick and easy to assemble; no tools are required. It is comfortable to hold and operating it is a cinch, 1-button to turn it off and on.
The motor is a powerful 120-amp which makes light work of big dry leaves, twigs, and small acorns. Better still; the in-built mulcher grinds the waste to small pieces as you work, enabling the user to collect large amounts with each use.
I love the waste bag has a fully adjustable shoulder strap that sits comfortably as you work. Feed the tube directly into the bag and all of the mulched lawn waste will be mulched into it, leaving both hands free to operate the vacuum.
This tool is multi-functional; it is also a powerful leaf-blower that can reach speeds of up to 230mph.
The 100-ft power cable that is supplied allows you to reach long distances whilst maintaining constant full-power.
Weighing in at less than 10-pounds, this is a really useful tool that doesn’t cost that much more than a quality hand-rake.
And did I say that it has a 4-year warranty?!
2. Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum
- Superior blowing and mulching proven by controlled laboratory testing
- Powerful up to 250 mph degree. 350 CFM blow mode and 410 CFM Vac mode
- Vacuum tube, bottom-zip bag, cord storage hook, shred-all shred ring and time-saving oscillating tube included; Extension cord Sold separately
- Variable speed control for better control in both blower and vac mode
- This bag is designed to capture leaf particles not dust. Product needs air flow to work properly.
- 3 in 1 Machine - Powerful Blower, High Speed Vacuum, Leaf Shredder
Whether your yard is big or small, come Fall you could probably use all of the help you can get clearing up fallen acorns, leaves, and debris.
That is where this machine comes in. It is a super-powerful corded 3-in-1 tool. Firstly it blows, then it vacuums, and finally it mulches.
A unique oscillating nozzle blows a wider path than other machines, further reducing the work-load of the user.
After 97% of the acorns and leaves collected have been mulched, this top-of-the-range vacuum feeds the debris straight into an easy-carry shoulder bag.
I love that regardless of the size of your hands there will be a comfort level to suit you. Varied handholding positions ensure that light-work is made of the hardest to clean yards.
Once everything is collected, the useful bottom dump zipper makes emptying the bag a breeze.
When it comes to clearing acorns, the best backyard vacuum may well be this product.
It has power, variable-speeds, and competitive pricing all in 1 handy tool.
3. Cordless Leaf Blower – KIMO 20V Lithium 2-in-1 Sweeper/Vacuum
- Portable Cordless 2-in-1 Sweeper & VacuumThis blower weights (2 lbs) only half even less than other blowers, which make it effortless to use in for a long time. 2 in 1 design not only helps you to clean the garden of fallen leaves, snow; but also can clean the corner and gap which is hard to clean. Perfect for the courtyard, garage, the car inside and engine compartment, etc. Cordless design allows you to clean up anywhere wanted.
- Super Strong WindTurbofans &all-copper motors provide up to 20000r/min strong power, keep running at top speed for 20 minutes. It's easy to blow up wet leaves, snow on your car, and make your garden keep clean after a rainy day.
- Instantly Becomes a Vacuum CleanerAs long as the blow tube installed in the air inlet, put the garbage bag at the air outlet, the blower will become a vacuum cleaner immediately. Super strong suction allows you to absorb dust, pet hair, crumbled cookies, biscuits much more easily than a besom. It is effortless and convenient to clean.
- Fast Charge & Power Indicator LightIt only takes 60 minutes (2 times as fast as normal) for a full charge. The full-charged battery makes it enough to clean up the house, garden, and car. Power indicator ensures you to get the battery level at any time, avoid the embarrassment of battery draining at work.
- Accessory Kit Come with KIMO Leaf Blower (2 YEAR) We are confident that our docking is manufactured under strict quality standards to give our customers the best experience. KIMO 2-in-1 Leaf Blower & Dust Vacuum comes with 1 KIMO Fast Charger, 1 KIMO Long Life 20 Volt Lithium Battery, 1 Blow Tube, 2 * Reusable Collection Bag and Detail Instruction Manual.
This is a powerful and portable yard vacuum and blower that needs no power cord. Simply charge the 2V Lithium battery between uses and it will always be ready whenever you need it.
To fully charge the battery takes around an hour and then you can run the machine for 20-minutes on maximum power.
I love how it weighs around 2-pounds so it is perfect for anyone to use, even older or frailer people. Simply pick it up, press the power button and you’re good to go.
Don’t let the fact that it is so lightweight fool you; it has an all-copper motor which makes light work of vacuuming acorns from the yard, wet leaves, car interiors, and pet hairs. This machine is so versatile!
Whether it is sucking or blowing there is a variable speed dial that the user can adjust to get the perfect setting.
Kimo supplies 2 collection bags fill one and simply clip on the second and carry on.
If you’re saving the acorns that you collect, they will remain whole and easy for you to use.
The simplicity of this tool is marvelous, keep the charge topped up and you can use it as and when you need it.
It is possibly the best cordless leaf vacuum around at the moment, no longer will you need to worry about how to clean up fallen acorns.
Best Rake for Acorns
1. RAKE ASSASSIN RK-001 Tools
- Multi-purpose Rake Assassin for scooping large amounts of material without breaking or bending under pressure
- Lightweight gardening rake with a powder-coated aluminum and plastic D-handle; 58" long and weighs only 1.75 lbs; 2-piece aluminum pole for easy storage and transport
- Root Assassin gardening rake that is reliable and easy to use; Ideal for turning compost piles, shoveling fallen fruits or pruning clippings, scooping yard waste, and skimming swimming pools
- Amazing rake that can do the job of a shovel and a rake at the same time to make your yard work quick and easy; Just draw the pile and scoop the material in a single motion
- The Root Assassin promise gives you superb quality without compromise; You can rely on the quality and performance of Root Assassin landscape tools for your important projects
This tool has everything and more that you could want from a garden rake.
The long handle is particularly strong and durable, it has a red powder-coat finish which won’t chip or fade over time.
It feels relatively lightweight for something so heavy-duty.
The tines are close enough together to make collecting acorns a breeze, yet they are strong enough to take much bigger and heavier loads. They aren’t plastic and so won’t bend nor break, even when gathering fallen apples.
I love that the 2-piece handle swivels at the bottom to become a deep shovel. Raking up and collecting can be done with the same tool.
This rake is seriously tough and yet still comfortable to hold and easy to use. Not only can it rake and shovel, but it is also great for skimming ponds and pools or scooping the poop!
With a lifetime replacement guarantee, every backyard should have the best acorn rake.
2. Omni Products Premium Telescopic Adjustable Rake
- ADJUSTABLE RAKE - The fan head adjusts with an easy movement and the handle telescopes quickly easily. It telescopes from 37 inches to 68 inches for all your raking needs. Also, the tough steel tines adjust from 7.5 inches to 21.75 inches wide.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL - Great for working under hedges and in flower beds. Its the versatility of this rake that makes it such a find. Besides the usual uses for a garden rake, the smaller head allows you to rake in between perennials and not damage the plants. It also is ideal for raking out debris from window wells, under hard to get at places or in the middle of dense flower beds.
- PREMIUM HIGH QUALITY - The rake is made from aluminum alloy so it is both strong and lightweight - a bonus when there are a lot of heavy leaves to lift up. Also, with the adjustable fan, it folds to a tighter profile so that it is less apt to be damaged while being stored between raking jobs.
- ERGONOMIC RUBBERIZED HANDLE - The rake is made from aluminum alloy so it is both strong and lightweight - a bonus when there are a lot of heavy leaves to lift up. Also, with the adjustable fan, it folds to a tighter profile so that it is less apt to be damaged while being stored between raking jobs.
- Made from Taiwan. Sold exclusively by OMNI PRODUCTS USA
If you’re searching for the best telescopic rake then look no further.
The height can be adjusted to suit your needs and it varies between 37-inches through 68-inches so it is ideal for the taller or shorter gardener.
With a simple roll of the handle, the width of the head is also adjustable; this brings the strong steel tines closer together when raking smaller things such as acorns.
This not only makes it great for getting into harder-to-reach places but it also makes storage easier. It can fold and be slotted into a small space.
I love that it has a Lifetime Guarantee. In my opinion, that means that a company has the greatest trust in its product and therefore, so should we.
For something so strong and durable, it is surprisingly lightweight.
It is comfortable to hold due to the rubber padding on the handle. Using this rake will not only make lightweight of those acorns, but of all those other garden tasks that you have been putting off!
3. Flexrake 58W Small Scoop and Steel Rake Set
- Scoop and rake set
- It measures 36" Cherry stained wood handles
- Made in USA
- Made in America from superior materials that last a lifetime
- Small Scoop and steel rake set
- 36-Inch Cherry stained wood handle
- Molded non slip vinyl grips
- Pick up where your pet left off
This is an ideal 2-piece set for raking and gathering fallen acorns. The handle is the perfect length, 36-inches, to maneuver easily as you rake into 1 neat pile.
Each handle is made from stained cherry-wood for added strength and long service life.
Being wrapped in molded-vinyl allows the user to grip them comfortably without worrying about their hands slipping, even in wet weather.
If you’re concerned about too much bending this could be ideal. No bending whatsoever is required, helping to keep your back healthy as you clean.
I love that it is made in the USA. How many products do we buy these days that have been outsourced and made substandard to save money?
This is a sturdy set capable of much more than just collecting acorns. It is the perfect size to store away easily until the next use.
Here a video how to clean acorn using push rake.
Best Lawn Sweeper for Acorns
1. Earthwise LSW70021 21″ Yard Sweeper
- Leaf and grass clipping sweeper:great tool for collecting leaves and grass clippings around the yard; 21" Brush width
- Spinning rake-like Action: sweeps leaves and grass clippings off lawn surface and into collection bag;ideal for Small clean-up jobs
- Easy to use, light & sturdy: body made of lightweight, high strength materials for easy maneuvering; handle made of Steel with scratch resistant, powder-coated finish
- Height adjustable:simply raise brushes higher If pushing Becomes difficult; lower brushes if not collecting debris
- Great way to quickly rake leaves & grass: does not pick up rocks, nuts, pinecones, or wet debris; 80% pick-up on first pass
If you’re looking for the best tool to pick up acorns that doesn’t need a power source, then this could be it.
The simplicity of this machine is wonderful; just push it through the area and watch the 2 rotating brushes pick up acorns and dry leaves and flip them into the collector box at the rear. They act like fast-spinning rakes.
With just 1 pass with the 21-inch wide brushes at least 80% of the debris is collected.
The simple to operate front dial allows the user to adjust the height of the brushes depending on the terrain they’re on. This allows for maximum clear up with every use.
I love that this machine is not just the best way to pick up acorns in the grass, but that it also works on other surfaces. Cleaning up acorns from patios, paths, and driveways is a breeze with this sweeper.
The collection box holds an impressive 2.6 bushels and unclips easily when it is time to empty it. The machine itself has a folding handle to allow it to be hung out of the way on a garage wall.
This sweeper is lightweight yet durable, requires no electricity yet performs powerfully, and needs no tools to assemble and is easy to operate.
Overall, it is such a great piece of kit to take the bending, back-aching work out of clearing up the yard, no need to rake first, this sweeper completes the whole task.
2. Sun Joe SBJ801E 13.5-Amp 3-in-1 Walk Behind Electric Blower/Vacuum/Mulcher
- 3-in-1 surface sweeper, VAC Mulcher
- Powerful 13.5-amp motor provides maximum suction
- High-impact resistant impeller mulches leaves up to 1/10th their original size
- 8-gallon bag capacity
If you want a sweeper not only with a little more oomph but one that can also mulch as it goes along, take a look at this 3-in-1 tool from Sun Joe.
This is electrically powered and with the help of a 13.5-amp motor, it performs really well.
It looks quite similar to a traditional indoor vacuum and operates in the same way too.
It is easy to push along and will collect acorns from all kinds of surfaces, including pathways, driveways, and lawns.
Powerful brushes rotate and collect up to 8-gallons of debris. This then passes through the metal blades and gets chopped down, even hard little acorns aren’t too much for it to handle. It gets mulched down to 10% of its former size enabling the user to cover large areas without needing to empty it often.
I love that the handle height is totally adjustable so it doesn’t matter how tall the user is.
Combine that with the soft-grip handle and you have a comfortable and easy to operate machine.
The dial-in knob helps to set the exact required brush height for whichever surface you are clearing.
This is a great tool with multiple uses. Sweeping, mulching and blowing are all achieved with the switch of a button.
A 2-year warranty should give you great confidence in the product.
If you want to know how to clean up in a yard then this should be a serious consideration.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper, 44-Inch
- Your purchase includes One Agri-Fab 44-Inch Lawn Sweeper, 45-0492 model
- Lawn Sweeper dimensions: 78 L x 55 W x 52 H | Carton Dimensions: 54.1 L x 18 W x 19.5 H | Brush to Wheel ratio: 5.6:1 | Hooper Capacity: 25 Cu. Ft. | Wheel dimensions: 12 x 3 | Wheel type: Semi-pneumatic | Pallet Qty.: 8 | Weight: 95 lbs
- Height adjustment lever with easy to use indicator will never slip and assures optimum performance
- Improved dump lever can operate without leaving the tractor seat. Entire sweeper folds up without tools saving on storage space
- Brushes should only move during forward rotation. If brushes rotate in both directions, means that the drive pin is jamming the ratchet gear. Disassemble and make sure drive Pin moves freely
If you’re wondering what is the best way to rake acorns when you have a particularly large yard then wonder no more.
If you have a ride-on lawnmower or tractor, you should consider buying a sweeper to attach to the back.
This not only collects acorns but all other manners of garden debris, including grass clippings, leaves, and twigs.
You will save so much time and effort than using a traditional rake alone, heck; it will almost seem like fun!
Agri-Fab has designed a universal hitch that will attach to any tractor unit. It is simple to assemble and takes around half an hour.
If you’re struggling they have created a video to watch with step-by-step pointers.
The whole machine feels heavy-duty and sturdy and will last for years.
Once attached, the semi-pneumatic wheels only go through 1-single rotation as the brushes do 5. This enables the sweeper to pick up everything in just 1-pass. The in-built tongue ensures everything is collected, including acorns and pine cones. I suppose the huge 44-inch width doesn’t hurt either, you could have a huge yard cleared up in minutes.
I love that the hopper holds a huge 23-ft3 and emptying it is a cinch, you can even do it from the seat of the tractor! Just by pulling on the long steel lever, you will dump all of its contents into a single neat pile.
Getting the most out of the sweeper isn’t difficult, the push button adjuster allows you to set the brushes to the exact height to gather the maximum amount of debris.
Once you’re finished, the sweeper is simple to store. It is collapsible and, amazingly folds to only 30% of its full-size!
So not only is this an extremely useful and high-performing piece of equipment, but it also takes up little storage space.
Who needs an acorn rake when you’ve got this?!
Best scoops and claws for clearing acorns
1. Gardzen Large Leaf Scoop Hand Rakes
- Huge Size! - Handy oversized yard and garden rakes, leaf claws measure 17x 13x 3 each. You don't have to bend over so much to scoop the leaves and it a back saver and it a lots better than using your hands. It'll totally save you time and your back!
- You NEED these! - Multi-use for leaves, grass clipping, lawn debris and trash clean-up. Picks up at least 3x more per scoop. Easily cut your time in half with the amount of material you are able to pick up. The takes at end make getting it all a breeze.
- More Ergonomically Designed! - Fit different sizes of users hands. Gardzen Leaf Scoop is comfortable on the wrist and has good grip for the hand. Dont worry it will bother the back of your wrists at times, just from the pressure, there is a protective padding and work gloves to avoid such pain.
- What You Get! - This set includes 1 pair of XL Leaf Claw Hand Rake Scoops +1pc 72 Gallon Reusable Yard Waste Bag + 1 pair of protective padding + 1 pair of work gloves.
- EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SUPPORT - Gardzen are here taking the responsibility of our products. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will solve your problem within 24 HOURS.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive way of clearing acorns and other garden debris how about a set of scoops.
Each scoop is particularly big and deep to save you from bending too far. They weigh very little too so don’t put too much strain on you.
They slot comfortably onto any size hands and allow you to pick up large capacities at one time.
I love that the Gardzen has thought of everything, padded wrist protectors to prevent chafing, work-gloves, and a 72-gallon reusable waste bag to collect everything.
For a low price, you can easily collect all of the gathered acorns and store them in one handy bag. The scoops will nest inside each other for easy storage.
The best part is yet to come if you’re not totally happy with your purchase they are accompanied by a 100% satisfaction or money-back guarantee.
2. Leaf Claws Grabber Scoop Hand Rake
- SAVE TIME & YOUR BACK: Ergonomic lawn scoop leaf rake hands gardening tool
- EXTENDED REACH FOR LESS BENDING: Extends reach 1-1/2 feet compared to other hand grabbers like Releaf, paws and fall clean up hand rakes
- PICK UP MORE DEBRIS faster and easier than with your hands or just a yard rake or garden rake tool. Pick up leaves with back re-leaf and less bending for releaf of body aches.
- CLEANER AND EASIER METHOD to avoid touching pet waste, yard mold and sharp or pointed items when cleaning up your yard.
- MADE IN USA: Proudly made in USA by Americas working class to help you pick-up, grab and handle move leaves and debris easier and faster during leaf raking.
What could possibly be better than a rake to clear fallen acorns? Two rakes!!!
That is effectively what these huge hand claws are like.
Easy to grip and extending your reach by at least 1.5-feet, they can save your back from too much bending.
The job of scooping anything from the lawn can be precarious; you never know just what you might be clearing up. These claws make the whole job safer and more hygienic. There is no chance of your hands coming into contact with anything sharp or smelly!
I love the high amount of leverage you get for larger loads. The product design enables the user to grip the scoops in such a way that each use gathers the maximum load every time. This saves time and energy.
The claws of these scoops mimic actual rake heads and ensure everything is cleared from the grass, not just the larger surface things.
These are well-made, strong and sturdy, and all for a brilliant low price.
3. TABOR TOOLS LS12A Leaf Scoops, Rake Hands
- EASY DOES IT. Heavy duty flexible plastic lawn leaf scoops make grabbing large amounts of leaves, debris or yard waste easy. These grabber claws are excelent for collecting grass clippings for bagging, mulching or shredding. Simply slide in your hands inside the handles and start grabbing and collecting leaves quickly and efficiently. The ridged edges make for a firm grip: nothing will escape your claws!
- BODY PROCTION. These scoops will form a barrier from stinging nettles, rosebushes and weeds. They will also safe your back from bending over too much
- SIMPLE STORAGE: The claws are made in a way that they fit together netly, so you can easily fit them together and hang them on a nail or peg when not in use. When dirty, just rinse them off with a hose and you are good to go!
- HERE TO STAY: The scops are made of durable crack & UV-resistant matrials. These will assist you in your gardening in the years to come.
- ORDER WITH CONDENCE. Custmer satisfaction and service quality are the basic creria for TABOR TOOLS. Good sevice is a result of flexibility, reliability and truworthiness. We will fix any problem quickly and answer to your need every time. We are always available to help our customers; our service record is unmatched!
It doesn’t matter which member of the family wants to help with the garden clean up, these scoops will fit everyone’s hands.
They are ideal to prevent constant bending as they reach the ground long before your hands would.
Each scoop has a firm rim and deep design so that even small acorns will be simple to pick up and remain in the scoop as you work.
These tools are designed to last; strong, robust plastic that has a slightly flexible feel to it, that won’t crack as you use it.
I love that even though they are large they needn’t take much storage space. One comfortably nests inside the other and they have slots in the handles to enable them to be hung on a hook, high up and out of the way.
Their large size protects the user from lots of stings and scratches.
Tabor Tools has designed a heavy-duty, multi-functional piece of kit for a very affordable price.
Things to consider when deciding the best way to rake acorns
- Yard size Consider buying a powered machine instead of hand rakes or scoops if you have a large space, a hand acorn rake is ideal for a smaller area.
- Effort Have you got the time and energy to clear a large space with a manual rake
- Budget There is a huge difference in prices of equipment, from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars
- Disposal What will you do with any collected acorns? If you need them whole then a vacuum with a mulcher is a bad idea
- Strength and durability Well-made and heavy-duty products are more desirable for areas with many oak trees that are likely to lose their fruit and leaves often.
- Surface If your trees overhang driveways and patios, ensure any sweeper you buy is suited to hard ground and not just grass
- Power Yard work can be back-breaking work. Choose a machine that will take most of the hard work out of it for you
- Weight Is the better suited to something lightweight or can they handle a higher-powered, heavier tool?
Great Ideas for Fallen Acorns
If you have spent time gathering all of the acorns from your backyard it might seem such a waste to throw them into the composter or worse still, the bin.
Here are a few fun ideas to try.
Feed the birds
Whole acorns are too big and hard for most backyard birds so do them a favor, crush them up in a bag first. You could also mix these crushed pieces with peanut butter, the low-salt variety, mold it around a string and hang it for a treat.
All of the best winter wreaths feature acorns somewhere. They are easy to slot in using decorators wire. You could also make fun Halloween decorations or how about a personalized centerpiece for your Christmas table.
Filling clear vases of different shapes and sizes can look so effective. Or sticking acorns on an old photograph frame using a hot glue gun is another great use. Both of these are cheap and simple gift ideas.
It may sound crazy but your local animal parks and zoos would be very grateful for a large bag of fallen acorns. They can be used in animal foods or as playthings in animal pens.
Here a video How to pick up acorns.
What is mulching?
If a leaf vacuum mulches the debris, it slices of grinds it into smaller pieces using an inbuilt plastic or metal blade.
The mulch is then easier to dispose of or is an ideal compost for your yard.
Is an electric or cordless leaf blower better?
That is down to personal choice. An electric one will have a constant power source for as long as you need it, but you will have to contend with a cable, and maybe extensions.
A cordless vacuum is less hassle to use, just grab and go, but you will only get around 20-minutes battery life at a time.
Is a lawn sweeper for acorns only useful in fall?
It is suited for that time of year, yes, when the acorns drop and leaves fall from the trees.
However, there is a virtual year-round use for most sweepers. In early spring it is the perfect tool to remove debris that winter left behind. During spring, summer, and fall they are great for clearing grass clippings.
As the summer draws to an end and the leaves start to fall from the trees, the acorns drop, and every gardener thinks here we go again, operation clean up!
Using the best tool for the job can take the strain and the aching back out of yard work.
I hope that you have found best ways to clean up acorns and use my handy hints and best product reviews to complete the task efficiently and leave yourself with more free time to concentrate on other things, like Halloween and the holidays.
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API