There are often jobs that need to be completed around the house that require working at height.
Changing the battery in the smoke alarm, a new coat of paint, or cleaning the top of the kitchen cabinets are a few of the tasks that often need doing.
When doing a precarious balancing act on a kitchen chair is just too risky, you should consider investing in the best step ladder for home use.
Top Picks Step Ladders
- Best Step Ladder for Home Use 2020
- Best Selling Step Ladder
- Step Ladder Safety Tips
- Final Verdict
Best Step Ladder for Home Use 2020
Here are a few of the best ladder to help you make the most informed buying decision.
1. LivingSURE Folding 4-Step Safety Ladder
- Ladder That Lasts Heavy-duty ladder is constructed of durable steel and supports up to 300 pounds, giving you peace-of-mind every time you climb
- Anti-Slip Treads Feel confident and secure as you climb the large, anti-slip treaded steps; each of the 4 steps measures 10 long x 15 wide and provides heel-to-toe surface support
- Padded Side Handrails Dual padded side rails offer a soft and comfortable grip, preventing slips and allowing you to stabilize yourself; non-marring feet protect your floors, hardwood and tile from scratches
- Convenient Folding Design Space-saving ladder folds flat to create a slim profile, making it easy to store in a closet or transport in the backseat of your car
- Multipurpose Use Ladder is perfect for indoor household use, including kitchen, home, office, school and more; measures 32 inches long x 21 inches wide x 66 inches high overall
If you’re looking for a sturdy folding step ladder that can hold up to 300lbs in weight, this product from Living SURE is worthy of consideration.
It has 4 deep steps, wide enough to take a whole foot, not just toes. Each step has a non-slip pad for safety. Both of the side rails have comfort grip to help you feel secure and the non-slip feet provide added peace of mind. These features make them great safety step ladders for seniors.
In total it is 66-inches tall, the highest tread is 38.5-inches above the ground. This makes reaching top shelves, changing bulbs and decorating much easier.
It is exceptionally sturdy and safe; the top handle doubles as a safety rail. A fantastic buy that is tough enough to last for years.
2. Little Giant 22-Foot Velocity Multi-Use Ladder
- Multi-position ladder converts to A-frame, extension, trestle-and-plank, 90-degree and staircase with ease.
- Rock Lock adjusters quickly alter your ladder into different configurations.
- Tip & Glide wheels for easy transport from job to job.
- Type IA ladder is rated to hold 300 lbs.
- Meets or exceeds all OSHA and ANSI standards.
Whether you’re a novice at DIY or a professional, this ladder will suit your needs. It will replace all other ladders as it can be adjusted to do almost any job. At full stretch it reaches 19-feet so gutter cleaning or putting up outdoor Christmas lights is simple.
However, it can also reconfigure to use as fold up step ladders, which reach 5-feet or 9-feet, a stair ladder and a scaffolding ladder.
It is truly versatile. The Rock Locks make adjusting lengths a simple task and the dual hinges mean changing the ladder’s layout or folding it down, are just as easy.
It is strong and sturdy, flared legs and wide treads make it extra safe too. Surprisingly for such a large piece of equipment, it folds to 6-feet with a 9-inch profile for simple storage.
3. Delxo Folding 4 Step Ladder
- GS CERTIFICATE. For product quality and safety, our step ladder stool has been approved by TUV with GS Certificate
- SIZE OF STEP LADDER. Open: 36"H X 36"L X 16"W, Folded: 49"H X 1.2"L X 16"W, Net Weight: 17.5 pounds, maximum load: 330 lbs
- FOLDING DESIGN. Comes fully assembled! Space-saving design of step stool chair safely locks into place,just tilt ladder forward and release the metal lock which hide on the bottom of the top pedal,then lift up the back of top pedal.You can fold it easily. Folded to just 4.5" D for storage. Non-marring leg keep floors avoiding scratches
- WIDE USAGE. With a convenient handgrip, making the ladder easy to climb and carry, it's an ideal choice either your home or shop.Whether you need the extra height for cleaning, painting or simply to reach up a high place, Delxo Folding 4-Step Steel Utility Stool perfect for working at different heights
- SECURITY AND STABILITY. Standing platforms measure 10"H X 7.9"L X 12"W With non-slip rubber pattern, the extra wide steps offer heel-to-toe foot support, eliminating foot pain and fatigue and providing the user a completely stable, comfortable place to stand while you are working. The Back Cross Brace structure reinforce the basic support which will make you feel more safe climbing up the frame and the steps!
This 4-tread ladder is probably the best step ladder for seniors as it has so many safety features.
The treads are deep and non-slip, there is a large handle to grip, and it is relatively lightweight. Add that to the fact that there is no assembly required and its simplicity to put up and it is easy to see why it is a best buy.
It is designed to offer great stability, the Cross design at the back makes you have great confidence in its strength and durability. It is ideal for weights of up to 330-pounds.
Supplied at a great value price, it is ideal for many jobs around the house, the top step is 3-feet from the ground. Folded up it is less that 3-inches wide, perfect for those of us with limited storage space.
4. Louisville Ladder 6-Foot Fiberglass Ladder
- STURDY AND STRONG: With its 300-Pound capacity, elegant design and smooth finish, you wont find a more durable, reliable ladder.
- WORK BECOMES EASIER: Molded Top With Handyman's Tool Slots
- 300-POUND LOAD CAPACITY, includes weight of user and tools
- DESIGNED FOR YOUR NEEDS: Molded top with recessed tray, nonconductive structural molded top
- PROTECTED: Inside spreader braces keep your ladder protected while intransport
- Molded top with handyman's tool slots, molded-in slots help keep tools close at hand
- 300-pound load capacity, includes weight of user and tools
- Each step secured with six large-head semi-tubular steel rivets for maximum strength
- Non-conductive full-channel rails are covered with a polyester veil for years of durable service
- Heavy-duty bottom back brace provides additional strength to the bottom of the ladder
How infuriating is it to be stuck up a ladder and realising you need a hammer/paintbrush, drill? Constantly up and down can wear you out.
This 6-foot, fiberglass fold up step ladder from Louiseville has the answer; a molded tray at the top for paint pots, hand and power tools, and a magnetic holder for screws and nails. This will suit a tradesman or a keen DIY’er.
Although it weighs just 17-pounds, it can withstand 300-pounds weight. Each step is double riveted to make you feel safe.
The feet are designed to give you added security; they will grip your floor and not leave a mark or scratch. Side rails are made from fiberglass which would give anyone working on electrics extra protection.
Great in transit, sturdy and durable when in use, all for a great value price.
5. Best Choice Products 4-Step Portable Folding Safety Ladder
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR USE: Perfect for use in the garage, kitchen, backyard, and more, with an attachable tool bag for added convenience
- STURDY DESIGN: Work in comfort with padded handrails, as well as metal crossbars and 4 non-slip feet that hold the ladder in place for optimal stability
- BUILT FOR SAFETY: 4 large platform steps with anti-slip foot grips for additional safety and a high handrail that your knees can rest against
- EASY PORTABILITY: Lightweight, foldable design with locking mechanism for easy relocation and storage in your closet or garage after use
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 32.75"(L) x 18"(W) x 62"(H); Weight Capacity: 225 lbs.
If you’re purchasing a ladder for someone older then this just might be the best step ladder for elderly people.
The cushioned handrails and deep, non-slip steps are just some of the safety features. The strong, metal construction and chunky, well-gripping feet are 2 more. It is heavy-duty and therefore, suited to indoor and outdoor use. The weight capacity is 225-pounds.
The top tread is a little over 3-feet from the floor, even standing on that feels secure as the handrail offers support to the user’s legs. There is also a tool bag supplied.
It is convenient to use around the home for things just a little out of reach. You could rest a little easier knowing your elderly relative, too stubborn to ask for help, was relying on these safe and sturdy fold-up step ladders.
Best Selling Step Ladder
Step Ladder Safety Tips
Falls from height, whether in the workplace or home, can cause all kinds of injuries. Bumps and bruises will soon heal but broken bones and wounds take much longer.
Using the right ladder for your job can make life simple if used correctly.
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe.
- Only use a step ladder if the floor is level
- Always open the folding step ladder fully, ensuring spreaders and locks are firmly in place
- Place the ladder as close to the work as possible, don’t overstretch
- Move the ladders frequently if you’re working around a room, i.e. painting
- When climbing the ladder keep both hands on the handles at all times
- If you need to loose, do it for minimal time, only when you feel you are well-balanced and secure
- Do not stay on the ladder for longer than 30-minutes intervals
- When climbing and dismounting your ladder, always stay facing the steps and stay central. This avoids any possible tipping incidents
- If you have any doubts about using the ladder, don’t. Ring someone for help
Which step ladder is best?
This is dependent on your requirements.
Indoor or outdoor use, the height you might need to reach, and where it can be stored should all be taken into account. An elderly person should check safety aspects. Large steps, non-slip feet and safety handles.
Trades people should consider the versatility of the ladder for different tasks.
You can check bellow two step ladder.
What is the difference between a step stool and a ladder?
A step stool is usually less than 32-inches high and consists of 1 or 2 steps.
A ladder is always taller, has multiple steps and often handrails at either side and often at the top too.
Both can usually be folded away for storage.
Which is the best ladder for painting?
An A-frame step ladder offers the most support and sturdiness.
They are lightweight enough to move around and some come with designated trays to keep paint pots in, saving your legs from tiresome trips up and down the ladder.
What height step ladder do I need?
Again, this depends on the task.
All of the ladders will give you an average reach height. Don’t measure this assuming that you will be standing on the top step. Always choose a slightly longer ladder to give you more stability.
Why do you need a step ladder?
To reach places that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to. Safely! Most of us have tried to balance on a chair to change a light bulb.
This is obviously not ideal; the use of a ladder makes accidents and injuries less common.
We hope that our research has helped you decide on the best step ladder for home use.
If you already own a ladder that is showing signs of age or damage, then please, dispose of it and invest wisely in a new one.
You will have it to hand for many years of service and can be sure that you will always stay safe while getting the job done!
Last update on 2020-12-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API