Best Cast Iron Skillet for Camping
Cast iron skillet is always a good option for cooking yummy dishes when you feel like camping a bit. This very simple device can cook the most delicious of foods.
However, when it comes to buying a cast iron skillet for camping, it might not be that simple. For; the market has a lot of models to offer. Some of them are extraordinary while the others might not be as good. Regardless of everything, you have to find the right one for pleasant cooking experiences.
We, therefore, are here to help you with decision making!
Here are a few products we found to be quite outstanding. Go through their reviews to be able to make a smart purchase.
- Our Selected 7 Cast Iron Skillet for Camping
- 1. Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use
- 2. Enameled 2-In-1 Cast Iron Multi-Cooker
- 3. Victoria 13 Inch Cast Iron Frying Pan
- 4. MEKBOK Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- 5. Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with 2 Loop Handles
- 6. AmazonBasics Cast Iron Skillet Pan, 10.25 Inch
- 7. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- What to Consider Before Buying
- How Do I Season A Brand New Cast Iron Skillet?
- How to Care for Cast Iron Skillet
- Cast Iron Skillet Cleaning Tips
- Final Thought
Our Selected 7 Cast Iron Skillet for Camping
Here are the products that caught our attention while doing the research. Read on to see if you like them the way we did.
1. Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use
- 10.25 Inch Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet. An improvement on the original: the Lodge Cast Iron Skillet, featuring an assist handle. This will be your go-to pan for generations to come. Handle length is 4.81 inch. When deep frying, fill cookware only to 1/3 of capacity
- SEASONED COOKWARE. A good seasoning makes all the difference. Lodge seasons its cookware with 100% vegetable oil; no synthetic coatings or chemicals. The more you use your iron, the better the seasoning will get.
- MADE IN THE USA. Lodge has been making cast iron cookware in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (pop. 3,300) since 1896. With over 120 years of experience, their cast iron is known for its high quality design, lifetime durability, and cooking versatility.
- MAKE EVERY MEAL A MEMORY. Lodge knows that cooking is about more than just the food; it's about the memories.
- FAMILY-OWNED. Lodge is more than just a business; it's a family. The Lodge family founded the company in 1896, and they still own it today. From environmental responsibility to community development, their heads and hearts are rooted in America.
To be at the top of our list of products, we have chosen this camping skillet. This is a high-quality pan that has been pre-seasoned. The manufacturer has used natural oil for that. You will find it ready to serve you. And the best thing about this pan is its heat-retaining capacity. It’s extraordinary.
The pan offers versatility. You can cook, bake, and sear using it. There’s a little feature that I was impressed with. It’s the hole placed in the handle. When you are not using the pan, you can use it to hold the pan.
In terms of the quality of construction, this unit is USA-made. Therefore, you can expect to have it durable and well-constructed. And that’s why we recommend it highly.
- Comes pre-seasoned for offering immediate use
- Extraordinary heat-retaining capacity
- Holes in the handle lets you hold it easily
- Seasoning could be better
2. Enameled 2-In-1 Cast Iron Multi-Cooker
- DISCOVER THE HEALTHIEST WAY TO COOK YOUR FOOD - It's time to say goodbye to chemicals and flimsy cookware. The Bruntmor ultimate pre-seasoned cast iron Multi-Cooker set is here to help you eat healthier and cook your food more efficiently than ever!
- THIS IS THE LAST SKILLET YOU'LL EVER HAVE TO BUY - One thing that separates cast iron cookware from the rest is extreme durability. Our sturdy skillet and lid set is made to withstand abuse and endure high temperatures, so that you don't have to spend money on new skillets every other year!
- LESS SCRUBBING, MORE FREE TIME - Stop wasting your valuable time scrubbing your pans and start spending quality time with your family! The Bruntmor cast iron Dutch oven features an enamelled surface, which is 100% non-stick, so cleaning it becomes a breeze!
- VERSATILITY IS OUR MIDDLE NAME - You can use our premium pre-seasoned cast iron cookware over any heating source effortlessly! Since it evenly distributes heat, you can use it on a stove, in an oven or even a campfire with the same incredible results!
- AN AFFORDABLE MULTI-COOKER FOR YEARS TO COME - When it comes to cookware, durability is a top priority, with price a close second. The Bruntmor heavy-duty pre-seasoned cast iron cooker set combines sturdy design with an extremely competitive prices! Why wait any longer?
Looking for a quality pan? Then, check out this cast iron camping skillet. It comes with a Dutch oven as well as a skillet pan. Bruntmor has introduced an enameled surface in it. It allows you to scrub the pan quickly. Thus, it will save time.
Be it any heating source, you can use this pan on that. They have made sure that heat gets distributed evenly so that you get the desired result once the cooking is done. This pan will offer you durability and versatility at the same time. And the best part about it is that it’s cheap.
I liked the handles of this skillet set very much. You will find holes on both pan and lid. Thus, it requires less space to accommodate the pan. So, it’s a device that will offer great value for money.
- Features both Dutch oven and skillet pan
- Provides easy cleaning through the enameled surface
- High heat retention
- Requires additional seasoning
3. Victoria 13 Inch Cast Iron Frying Pan
- Better Performance. The 13 inch cast iron skillet has greater retention and distribution of heat. This seasoned frying pan can keep your food hot for 15 min Or longer. Double loop handles for easy handling.
- Lifetime Warranty. High Quality commercial iron casting for durability excellent heat retention. Made in Colombia using European cast iron machinery. Suitable for cooking in: induction, ceramic, campfire, grill, broiler and oven.
- Ready-to-use seasoning: 100% non-GMO flaxseed oil seasoned coating. Does not contain PTFE and Foes that can be harmful to your health. Flaxseed oil it's a vegetable oil, Perfect natural easy-release seasoning that gets even better with time.
- Healthy for you. Trace amounts of iron are naturally released when cooking with seasoned cast iron skillet, boosting the mineral in your diet.
- Versatile. This cast iron pan can be used for serving, cooking, baking, grilling, and oven-to-table. Multi-use, you can make a delicious paella, grilled steak nachos, beef tips stir fry, potato bacon hash and more! Fits all kitchen and camping needs.
This is a perfect pan made of cast iron for camping. It features a curved dual handle. Thus, you will be able to handle it more comfortably. What’s more, they have made the handles bigger than usual to make the lifting easy.
The pan comes pre-seasoned. Thus, you can get to work with it right away. For its seasoning, they have used high temperature providing easy release. And when it comes to cleaning, you will find drip-catchers in place to make it convenient.
In terms of durability, they have designed it in a way so that there will be no cracks and warping. Also, they have done a great job with its heat retention ability.
- The curved dual handle makes it easy to lift
- Comes pre-seasoned
- Resistant to cracks and warping
- Requires heavy keep up
4. MEKBOK Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- Comes with a 10 inch, 7.825 inch and 6.25 inch, skillets
- Cast iron materials provide better heat retention for more even cooking.
- Factory Pre-seasoning more durable than home seasoning.
This is a set of pans that will save you some good amount of money. You have three pieces of cast iron skillet in it. If you want to cook various amounts of dishes, then you will find the different sizes of these pans to be handy.
I liked the fact that it comes pre-seasoned with vegetable oil. They have applied high heat for baking the oil. Another praiseworthy thing about it is that its seals come with a protective layer. Thus, you get a durable pan as well as one of the smoothest of cooking surfaces.
When it comes to cleaning, the pan allows you to clean it while still being hot. The smallest pan would be ideal for preparing delicious pancakes, while the larger ones are suitable for big dishes.
- Offers versatility with the three pieces
- Pre-seasoned, allowing you to use it the right way
- Greatly affordable
- Requires a bit of work on your behalf
5. Lodge Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with 2 Loop Handles
- 17 INCH CAST IRON SKILLET. This seasoned cast iron skillet is ready to use and extremely versatile with a diameter of 17 inches and a 2-inch depth. With ample cooking surface and an ergonomic 2 handle design, it is perfect for the campfire, the oven, and the tabletop
- SEASONED COOKWARE. A good seasoning makes all the difference. Lodge seasons its cookware with 100% vegetable oil; no synthetic coatings or chemicals. The more you use your iron, the better the seasoning will get
- MADE IN THE USA. Lodge has been making cast iron cookware in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (pop. 3,300) since 1896. With over 120 years of experience, their cast iron is known for its high quality design, lifetime durability, and cooking versatility
- MAKE EVERY MEAL A MEMORY. Lodge knows that cooking is about more than just the food; it's about the memories. This dynamic 2-loop handle skillet can be used for slow weekend mornings with bacon and eggs or summertime BBQ's with roasted veggies
- FAMILY-OWNED. Lodge is more than just a business; it's a family. The Lodge family founded the company in 1896, and they still own it today. From environmental responsibility to community development, their heads and hearts are rooted in America
This camping cooking cast iron comes with a heavy grade aluminum base. They have introduced three rivets at its handle. It also has a silicone sleeve coating that you can remove for cleaning purpose. What’s more, the coating has multiple layers to make the pan durable, being free from cadmium and lead.
You can simply use a dishwasher for cleaning the pan. It offers versatility by getting along with electric, ceramic, and gas ranges. The oven can retain heat up to 400 degrees. And the fact that it’s made in the USA makes you feel more comfortable about its durability.
They have given it a satin finish to improve its looks. Also, there’s a tapered edge in place for this purpose. And it’s appreciable that the pan doesn’t cost much. Now, if you didn’t know before what size is a large skillet, you will do once you look at this enormous pan.
- Great heat retention up to 400 degrees
- Affordable and convenient
- Can be cleaned with dishwashers
- Might be a little big
6. AmazonBasics Cast Iron Skillet Pan, 10.25 Inch
- 10.25-inch cast-iron skillet for sautéing, searing, pan-frying, baking, broiling, roasting, and more; pre-seasoned and ready to use
- Heavy-duty cast-iron construction for optimal heat retention and thorough, even heating
- Long handle and opposite helper handle for a steady, secure hold; hole at the end of long handle for hanging storage
- Oven-safe to 500 degrees F; suitable for all cooking surfaces; hand wash only (NOT dishwasher safe)
- Backed by an AmazonBasics limited 1-year warranty
The brand has produced a masterpiece as far as skillet pans are concerned. And when it comes to versatility, it’s always cool to have a set that provides three different sizes. What’s worth mentioning is that it comes pre-seasoned. Thus, you will be able to get into action the moment the delivery arrives.
Keep in mind that you will have to re-season the pan from time to time. However, the premium level coating it features offers durability as well as perfect cooking.
You can use the pan on almost any cooking surface, even ovens. Just make sure that the temperature remains within 500-degree F. What I found to be quite satisfactory is its heat retention capacity.
The handle comes with is long and sturdy. Also, there’s a helper handle in place, so that you can manage the pan easily. What’s a shame is that you can’t wash it with a dishwasher. However, the cleaning process isn’t complicated either.
- Provides versatility through the pieces of different sizes
- Comes pre-seasoned
- The long and sturdy handle offers comfortable use
- Not washable with dishwasher
7. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet
- PRECISION HEAT DISTRIBUTION - These cast iron skillets have a smooth finish to help provide even heat distribution for improved cooking and frying, even on grills, stoves or induction cooktops.
- TRUE COOKING VERSATILITY - The Cuisinel cast iron skillet pan can be used for frying, baking, grilling, broiling, braising, and sautéing meats, vegetables and more!
- SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP - Each all-purpose fajita skillet is crafted with seasoned cast iron that can outlast years of regular cooking and washing for long-term reliability.
- EASY TO CLEAN & MAINTAIN - Cast iron cookware should be hand washed with warm water and restored with natural oils; that means no soap or dishwasher use.
- 1 YEAR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Every Cuisinel product is backed by a 1-year, no-hassle guarantee to ensure your total satisfaction. Purchase risk free!
Let’s talk about a surprisingly cheap product. When it comes to durability, this pan will impress you with its heavy construction. And what’s also impressive is the moderate weight that makes it easy to handle and carry.
In terms of versatility, there are three pieces available in this package. They have different sizes. So, when you are looking to prepare any small dish, you will find the smaller sizes to be useful. And the large one will be best for camping with a big family.
Another spectacular thing about this product is that it offers you easy cleaning, thanks to the pre-seasoning it comes with. Using a sponge will simply remove the grease and oil. It also comes with impressive heat retention capacity.
- Moderate weight makes it easy to lift
- Three pieces offer versatility
- Offers very easy cleaning
- Needs a bit seasoning
What to Consider Before Buying
Here we are presenting you with a buyer’s guide to help you choose the best product. Go through the following few things you need to look for before the purchase;
Various units in the market come in different size and weight. You need to look for heavier cookware for they retain the heat better.
Since this is an era of things being more appreciated when they are lightweight; manufacturers have found their ways in making their pans as such. And you will find them to retain heat just right.
Apart from quality, ease of use is a very important feature for a pan. This is a cookware you are going to use day and night; so you have to be comfortable using it. So, you may look for a heat-resistant cover in the pan. Also, the models that come with double handles are convenient.
Most of the quality products out there are pre-seasoned. If you buy one of them, you can start using the cookware immediately on delivery.
How Do I Season A Brand New Cast Iron Skillet?
Seasoning the pan is essential if you want it to perform properly. The way to season the cookware is that you bake the iron with fat or oil. Thus, there will be a nonstick coating formed. Let’s learn how to do it the easiest way.
You have to preheat the pan to 300-degrees F. Follow it by putting a foil layer on the lower rack. Place the pan on the upper rack. Use kitchen gloves for removing the pan once the heating is done, which shouldn’t take more than ten minutes.
Use one tablespoon of lard, vegetable shortening, or grease to coat the cookware. You should use a cloth or towel for this. It’s better not to use vegetable oil since it will leave your pan sticky. Follow this by putting the cookware in an oven. Ten minutes should do it.
Now pour the excessive fat out after removing the pan from oven. Then you have to turn the cookware upside down followed by placing it in the oven’s upper rack. Place the foil under the pan for catching drips. After baking the pan for about one hour, turn the oven off.
Let the pan cool down for a while. And that will be it.
Don’t forget to season the pan every once in a while to get a nonstick coating and smooth surface.
How to Care for Cast Iron Skillet
Cast iron skillets are sturdy and scratch-resistant. Nevertheless, it requires regular maintenance. And it’s not difficult at all. Want to know how?
Using the Pan Frequently
The amazing fact about these pans is that they get more efficient as they get older. We see them being passed from generation to generation for this reason. If you use a pan frequently, a polymer layer will develop on the pan that will provide a perfect nonstick surface.
Whenever you use the pan to sear or fry, it gets seasoned spontaneously. Thus, you will be able to cook food on the pan; while there will be no stickiness to disturb you.
Drying the Pan after Every Use
If you don’t dry it completely every time you use it, there will be rust. Once the cleaning is done, you have to put it on a stovetop. Wait for a couple of minutes until it’s fully dried.
Now, with a cloth or towel, apply lard or bacon grease on it. Next, heat it for a couple of minutes. Then let the pan cool. If there’s grease on it, remove it by using a towel.
Cast Iron Skillet Cleaning Tips
If it was an ordinary pan, it would have been alright to clean it every once in a while. But, when you are dealing with a cast iron pan, you better get over any laziness. For, this thing requires immediate cleaning every time you use it.
Grease gets stuck with the pan more hard as the time passes. So, it will be a difficult task to remove it, if you don’t clean the pan immediately. It’s better to wash the cookware while it’s still a little hot for getting rid of the oil. Also, the seasoning will be maintained this way.
Some people like to use abrasive washing pads for cleaning their cookware. It might work for some cookware, but not for cast iron pans. Any type of harsh detergent is also not recommended in cleaning them.
Abrasive washing pads cause nothing but harm to the pan, such as removing the seasoning, leaving scratches on the pan, and so on. Therefore, the way you should do it is by using only soap and water.
And if you want a thorough cleaning, you can use kosher salt mixed with water for scrubbing the pan. Then dry your pan using a paper towel.
Hope you found the right cast iron skillet for camping. If you are still struggling with the decision making, you might want to go through the reviews of the products that you liked once again and think about their pros and cons.
However, you will have a great purchase going for any of the listed products. For, they all have their magic to offer.
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API