Finding the best automatic pour over coffee makers to help you make amazing coffee at home. See our picks for best coffee maker. These are top notch coffeemaker for your kitchen.
What’s the first thing you absolutely require in the morning after a productive but late night? Is it a good breakfast, or some junk food, or some whiskey?
For most of us, it’s none of those.
Instead, we simply crave a cup of freshly brewed coffee that’ll get us going.
But a flavorless, muddy cup of coffee is more likely to ruin your day than to make it better. So, what can you do to ensure that your day starts on a good note?
Invest in a pour over coffee maker, of course!
Confused as to what the best automatic pour over coffee maker is and how to use it? Read on, for we’ve gathered all the information for you.
- What Is Pour Over Coffee?
- Pour Over Coffee vs. Drip
- How to Use Pour Over Coffee Maker
- Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Pour Over Coffee?
It is rumored, that those who have had pour-over coffee once in their lifetime never go back to their old coffee brewing method. So, what exactly is pour-over coffee, and what makes this method so unique and special?
The technique of pour-over coffee works in a pretty simple way. You basically need to take your preferred coffee grounds in a rinsed filter over the carafe where the coffee is going to be poured and pour hot water over it.
Some people scoff at the idea, asking that why would they need to bother to pour their water by themselves when a regular coffee maker will just do it for you? The distinction might not be apparent at first through the looks, but as soon as you take a sip, you will understand why this method is becoming so popular nowadays.
With the pour-over method, you get total control over the temperature of the water and the way you are pouring it in.
Although it might seem like a minor thing, this makes a huge difference in the flavor of the coffee. With regular coffee makers, the beans never get wetted properly; hence, the rich flavor cannot be extracted as well as it can be done by this method.
Pour Over Coffee vs. Drip
For some people, coffee is coffee. It doesn’t matter how it was made, or how bold the flavors are. All it matters is that they need some caffeine in their system to get them going.
And for others, however, brewing coffee can be a mindful process. From the coffee beans to the water used to the brewing process, everything is of significance. Coffee lovers often make the distinction while using a brewing process – where some favor the drip method, and others, the pour-over.
The characteristics that make these two methods differ from each other are given below-
Drip coffee is usually made by keeping the coffee beans and the water in 2 different containers in the designated machines. When you start the machine, the water is heated and dripped over the coffee grounds.
In a pour-over method, you are in charge and have full control over pouring the warm water over the coffee grounds.
The pour-over coffee method results in a better bloom, and all the flavors are extracted evenly due to the consistency of the water and the amount of time you decide to pour and steep it.
With the drip coffee, you cannot really get the best flavor as all of the coffee grounds will not be evenly soaked. Getting that flavor close to a pour-over coffee is only possible if you invest a lot of money in the coffee maker.
A pour-over coffee maker is very simple in terms of design and only contains 2 to 3 large parts. They are also quite easy to clean and maintain.
The drip coffee makers, on the other hand, are quite complex. They are also hard to disassemble and clean and could contain mold growing in them without you even noticing.
If you are a busy morning person and do not have much time to spend behind coffee, then the drip coffee is best for you. You can put the coffee and the water in their respective containers the night before, and just start the machine in the morning and go about doing your usual work.
With a pour-over method, you will need to keep some extra minutes at hand as you have to pour the water over the coffee yourself. This is great for those who like to practice a mindful morning routine and does not want to compromise flavor for time.
Drip coffee method does not really allow you to have much control over the way the water is being dripped, or the flavor is being extracted.
Using a pour-over method is beneficial in the sense that you have full control over the way you are pouring water and how much area you are covering. You can pour it from outside and allow the grounds to be steeped for a little longer if you want a bolder flavor.
Rip brewers most of the time have difficulty reaching the optimum temperature in brewing the coffee and cannot keep the water as warm through the whole process.
The pour-over method allows you to heat the water to the needed temperature and keep it warm as long as it is recommended.
How to Use Pour Over Coffee Maker
Now that you know how wonderful pour over coffee is, it is time to start brewing with the help of a pour-over coffee maker! The following steps will serve as a guideline-
Start with The Coffee Beans
The key to a good cup of coffee is good coffee beans. Sometimes you can be so caught up in the whole process that you stop paying attention to the main ingredient, and we do not want you ever to do that.
Always use freshly ground coffee beans for this process. Pre-ground coffee can lose its flavor quite quickly, so it would be wise to invest in a coffee grinder.
While grinding the coffee, make sure it is neither too coarse nor too fine. Medium-sized grounds result in a better flow of water and will ensure maximum extraction of flavors.
Measure The Ratios
It is very important to get the water to the coffee ground ratio while brewing. After a lot of calculations, most baristas have concluded that a 17:1 ratio of water to coffee grounds works best. However, people often use a 16:1 ratio or a 19:1. It all depends on individual preferences.
Use a scale to weigh out coffee grounds. And to understand what ratio works the best for you, be prepared to go through a bit of trial and error at first. If you are lucky, you might get that perfect brew in the very first cup!
Heat The Water
Do not just use any water for the coffee. Use the kind of water you would not mind drinking by itself, and make sure there is no weird flavor or smell in it. The next step is to heat it.
And the ideal temperature of water for coffee is somewhere between 195F and 205F. However, a lot of people do not have built-in thermometers with their kettles or electric ones. So, in that case, boil the water, let it cool for 30 seconds, and then use it in the coffee maker. Never use boiling water to make pour-over coffee.
Rinse The Filter
This is needed to get rid of that papery smell in the filter placed in the coffee maker. Rinse this filter or around 10 seconds to get rid of the smell completely.
Let The Bloom Begin
After all these steps have been done, the most important part begins. Place the fresh coffee on the filter, and slowly start pouring the water. Do not pour all the water at once, as that just defeats the whole purpose. Instead, slowly pour about 30 mg of water and wait for half a minute.
The reason you need to wait is that when the water first comes in contact with the coffee grounds, it starts extracting the flavors. This process is known as wetting or blooming. After you have waited for 30 seconds, you can proceed.
Now, you need to pour the rest of the water on the coffee grounds. Go from the inside out in a consistent, steady spiral to get most of the flavor. The ideal time to finish pouring all of the water should be 3 minutes. You can keep a timer in hand until you get used to the whole process.
Once everything is finished, enjoy your cup of freshly brewed goodness.
Best Automatic Pour Over Coffee Maker Reviews
While the flavor you get from a perfect cup of pour-over coffee is enthralling, the process is not. Most people do not like all the fuss to make just one cup of coffee, and it is quite troublesome in cases of serving multiple guests.
To solve all these problems, and yet give you that perfect taste, you can invest in pour-over coffee makers.
1. Cuisinart CPO-800 Pour Over Coffee Brewer Glass Carafe
- SCAA Certified - meets the Specialty Coffee Association of America's rigorous technical requirements for exemplary home brewers
- Flavor strength control - mild, medium, bold
- Temperature control - hot, extra hot.MC LWH: 20.00 x 15.00 x 16.00 inches
- NOTE: Unit dimensions: 10.125" x 12.75" x 16.375", Unit Weight: 9.5 pounds, Shipping Weight: 10 pounds.
- 8 cup carafe - Glass (CPO-800), Thermal (CPO-850)
The Cuisinart pour over coffee maker serves not only delicious pour-over coffee but also looks good. It has an exterior of stainless steel and has a quite fashionable display that is also convenient to use. And it can brew up to 8 cups (each cup being of 5 ounces) of coffee at a time. So say goodbye to long coffee making sessions.
As the product is certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America, needless to say, it is safe for your health. It offers additional benefits as letting you control both temperature and flavor, so you can choose to have hot or extra hot coffee and select between a range from mild to bold.
According to CuisinartCPO 800 reviews, this model has a charcoal filter which is very handy to keep the taste intact and smell of your coffee in its natural state. It also has a glass carafe sitting on a hot plate, which is great for keeping the coffee warm up to 2 hours. So, you don’t have to worry about consuming it all in one go. You can also check Cuisinart SS-700 is a best k cup coffee maker.
- Classy design.
- Brews 8 cups of coffee at a time.
- Can control the temperature.
- Lets you choose your preferred flavor.
- Includes a charcoal filter along with paper filters.
- Has a glass carafe sitting on a hot plate.
- Brew pause setting.
- Certified by SCCA.
2. Motif Elements Pour-Over Style Coffee Brewer with Thermal Carafe
- Specially designed showerhead ensures even saturation of Coffee grounds
- Superior water heater ensures ideal brewing temperature
- Pre-infusion mode releases the unique flavors of your Coffee
- Audible tones indicate when the brewer starts and completes the brew cycle
- Brew through lid and filter basket are designed to allow the user to remove carafe in mid-brew cycle
- 8 cup double-walled Stainless Steel thermal carafe
Moreover, the water heater heats the water in very little time and keeps it in temperature between 197.6F and 204.8F. Usually, it is very hard to get the desired temperature while heating water, let alone maintain it, and this device just does it for you.
After brewing the coffee, it goes into the double-walled carafe, which then keeps it warm.
This device can brew up to 8 cups in one single sitting, and also uses sounds to indicate the beginning and end of a cycle, so you can get a signal from another room. It also has a pre-infusion mode that mimics the original pour-over method to get the best bloom. Therefore, it gives a taste similar to traditional pour-over coffee.
- Shower head helps to wet the coffee grounds evenly.
- Double-walled carafe keeps the coffee warm.
- Brews 8 cups of coffee in one sitting.
- Water heater allows the water to heat to the ideal temperature.
- Sounds help you keep track of the brewing cycle.
- Mid brew pausing option.
3. OXO BREW 9 Cup Coffee Maker
- Microprocessor controlled brew cycle replicates the pour over method to produce 2 to 9 cups of SCA certified perfect Coffee
- Water is heated and held at the perfect temperature for Coffee (197.6 to 204.8 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Rainmaker shower head evenly disperses water over Coffee grounds for uniform saturation and full flavor extraction
- Intuitive LED interface features a backlit screen that displays the Coffee maker status and freshness indicator
- A single dial allows you to program the Number of cups and the 24 hour start timer. Double walled carafe keeps your brew hot and fresh. Voltage is 120Volt/60Hertz
- Dimensions: 15 x 8.3 x 17.2 inches
This product is alternatively known as the barista brain, as it can perfectly analyze steps like exactly how much the water needs to be heated, how fast to pour for maximum extraction etc.
Additionally, the product comes with a user-friendly interface, which can show you the state of your coffee and even offers a freshness countdown, so you never have to worry about drinking the coffee too stale. A dial helps you to select the number of cups and the kind of flavor you’re going for.
Whilst most devices can brew only up to 8 cups; this device can brew 9. It also comes with a thermal carafe that helps to keep the liquid warm and has a brew-pause system so you can sneak in a taste in case you don’t feel like waiting.
- Microprocessor controlled.
- Removable shower head with 7 holes.
- Water heater does its job perfectly.
- LED interface.
- User-friendly dial.
- Brews from 2 to 9 cups in a single sitting.
- The thermal carafe keeps the coffee warm for hours.
- Brew pause system.
4. Chemex Classic Series, Pour-over Glass Coffeemaker
- Purchase from Authorized Resellers: e-Home Shopping, Barista Lab, Visions Espresso Service, TheShoppingTimes, Big Kitchen
- Made of non-porous Borosilicate glass which will not absorb odors or chemical residues
- CHEMEX pour-over allows coffee to be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavor
- Simple, easy to use with timeless, elegant design
- Use CHEMEX Bonded Filters FP-1, FC-100, FS-100, FSU-100
Also, this product has a larger capacity than other similar ones, so it can brew and hold up to 10 cups of coffee at a time. This is a great advantage for times when you are planning to invite guests over for a little tea party. It comes with a paper filter that is stronger than other filters to keep all the sediments in one place.
Moreover, the materials used in this device also makes it really easy to heat or refrigerate without any difference in flavor. As it is a whole single piece, it is also quite easy to clean and therefore very handy during busy times.
- Very elegantly designed.
- The materials help to keep all unwanted taste and odor away.
- Can brew up to 10 cups of coffee.
- Can be reheated or refrigerated without any change in flavor.
- Extra thick filter paper to prevent leftover grounds from spilling.
- Easy to clean.
5. Technivorm 59616 KBG Coffee Brewer
- TRUSTED BY COFFEE EXPERTS The top coffee maker choice of coffee brewing experts
- SIMPLE TO USE Easy use, one button Operation and 4-6 minute brew time for 40 oz of Coffee
- DELICIOUS COFFEE Perfectly brewed Coffee Delivered by our copper element and no Pumps
- AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF Coffee maker features an auto shut off after 100 minutes
- PEACE OF MIND Backed by a 5-year Manufacturers
It is usually quite difficult to ensure that the water used for brewing is perfectly heated. But this product heats water up to the perfect temperature as needed for a brew and keeps it that way for as long as it is required.
One of the best advantages of the product is that it only takes 4 minutes to finish the whole brewing process, so it is perfect for busy individuals. It also features a hot plate which keeps the carafe warm for 100 minutes. The product is also SCCA certified.
- Heats water and maintains it at the perfect temperature.
- Can brew up to 10 cups of coffee.
- The whole brewing process takes only 4 minutes.
- Comes with an adjustable drip basket system.
- Glass carafe can be removed from under the drip basket any time.
- Hot plate shuts down after 100 minutes.
- SCCA certified.
6. KitchenAid KCM0802CU Pour Over Coffee Brewer
- Meets the Gold Cup standards of the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA).
- Mimics the manual pour over process delivering consistent infused flavor without the manual effort.
- Visual display shows each step of the brewing process, from heating, to pouring and then steeping.
- Heats the water to the optimal range of 198°F -204°F at the top of the brewer and therefore minimizes heat loss during the extraction process.
- Product Dimensions 11.3(L) x 8.7(W) x 15.1(H) inches
- The one touch medium and dark roast settings allow you to taste all the subtleties and flavor within these different roasts.
- Includes starter pack of #4 paper filters, 8-cup glass carafe, coffee scoop
Also, the water heater in this device heats the water up to the perfect temperature for brewing, and a visual display lets you know whether the process is at the heating, brewing, or pouring stage. It also has options to let you select the number of cups (2-8) and the kind of flavor you want.
One of the best features of this product is that it can keep your coffee warm for a long time. Furthermore, you do not have to worry too much about cleaning it, as it also features a cleaning system where all you have to do is pour some water in the brewer.
- Great quality coffee.
- The water heater heats the water to the ideal temperature.
- Visual display shows what stage the brewing process is in.
- Keeps the coffee warm for a long period of time.
- Flavor choosing option.
- Cup selecting option.
- Has a cleaning feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have few of the commonly asked queries regarding pour-over coffee makers:
How much coffee can I get from a pour-over coffee maker?
The amount of coffee you get from a pour-over coffee maker varies from model to model. Choose the one that works best for you.
Do I need to invest in a scale?
Measuring out coffee grounds and water is quite an important step to making pour-over coffee. To make sure that you are using the exact amount needed, investing in a scale would be wise.
What kind of coffee grinds should I be using?
If you want a bitter flavor, go for fine grounds. Choose coarse grounds for a mild flavor. However, most coffee makers let you control the flavors now irrespective of the size of the grounds.
How long does it take to finish making the pour-over coffee?
Again, if you are using a coffee maker, it varies from model to model. If you are hand pouring the water, try to finish the pouring process within 3 minutes. A finer grind results in more absorption of the water, while a coarse grind will produce a better flow.
Now that you know all about pour-over coffee and the methods used to make it, we can now rest knowing that you will be able to find the best automatic pour over coffee maker for you.
Nevertheless, let us know if you liked our recommendations in the comments.
Last update on 2019-12-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API