Though little known, the bench grinder plays a vital role in the typical workshop. That is why you desperately want to know all about it. Of utmost importance is the dangers which the device may pose and how to prevent them. Read on to find out about the tiny details of this wonderful piece of equipment.
- A.) What is a bench grinder good for?
- B.) What is a tongue guard on a bench grinder?
- C.) What PPE is required when using a grinder?
- D.) Are eye shields required on bench grinders?
- E.) Are face shields required for grinding?
- F.) What are the safety rules when using a bench grinder?
- G.) Who makes the best bench grinder?
- H.) Can you use a bench grinder on wood?
A.) What is a bench grinder good for?
A bench grinder is a workshop machine that is meant to grind and sharpen other tools. Many modern grinders can shape, clean, polish, or buff metals as well. This machine handles and impacts just about every other tool that comes its way.
B.) What is a tongue guard on a bench grinder?
The tongue guards are safety mechanisms on the bench grinders. They play the role of shielding the grinding wheel pieces from flying out unnecessarily. This way, they enhance your own safety and minimize the possibilities of dirtying your workshop.
Your work area hence remains tidy and well-kept always. Chances of inflicting any injuries and other associated issues are hence relegated to considerable lows. You also find it easier to restore your premise to its perfect original form courtesy of these.
C.) What PPE is required when using a grinder?
For a start, the term PPE stands for personal protective equipment. These are simply gears which you put on to shield you from any harms and dangers in your workshop. They do so by creating a barrier between your body and the harsh external environment.
To use a grinder well, you require a number of this equipment. Examples are:
- Safety glasses or goggles to safeguard your eyes.
- Gloves to shield your hand from any cuts or other issues.
- Aprons for the sake of your whole body and clothing.
- Boots to keep your feet shielded for all debris.
- Gas or face mask for protecting your respiratory faculties.
D.) Are eye shields required on bench grinders?
YES, they are! It is not uncommon to sustain some eye injuries in the course of working your metals. To be able to enjoy safety operations, you will definitely have to bring in some eye shields. These create a barrier which keeps all debris out.
The shields are also transparent enough to allow you to clearly see your work. This way, they ward off any possible ambiguities which may usually arise when taking measurements or operating the various parts of the tools.
E.) Are face shields required for grinding?
By all means, YES! The process of grinding materials is ordinarily prone to all kinds of debris. If and when this debris find themselves on your face, they might compromise it. The only way to avoid this is to put on a suitable face shield.
Needless to say, the shield has to be comprehensive. It has to cover all the vital front organs like the nose and the eyes fully. It is only in this manner that you will be able to guarantee the best outcomes.
F.) What are the safety rules when using a bench grinder?
While using a grinder, you have to adhere to some safety rules. These include the following:
- Fasten the bench grinders and the pedestal securely to prevent the same from fidgeting unnecessarily
- See to it that all the guards are perfectly in place. Secure them tightly before proceeding to use the grinder.
- Adjust the tool rests to around 3 mm (1/8 in.) within the range of the wheels. Never do so while operating the machine. While at it, fix the work rest heights at horizontal elevations to the machine spindle.
- Maintain some 6 mm (1/4 in.) of your wheel exposure. Use a movable or tongue guard to do this.
- Ensure that the wheels contain some blotters on either side.
- Be certain that the wheel fits properly onto your spindle when mounted. In case it is lost, attempt another wheel.
- Tighten the nuts prior to turning the grinder on.
- Finally, before you plug the grinder in, spin the wheel manually to see to it that it indeed spins freely.
G.) Who makes the best bench grinder?
A number of companies are engaged in the manufacture of the bench grinder. However, some stand out as the better ones. We have sampled five of them and are subsequently going to review them here:
This is a German-based machine manufacturer. Its range of products has been noted to be rich in quality. Further, they are good for both professional and home use. This company came to be in the 1920s.
Generally speaking, you have this company’s range of products for your consideration if you are an independent worker. That is because they are strong enough for professional use yet simple enough to comprehend.
Top Picks Metabo Bench Grinder
DEWALT is an American manufacturer of power tools. In most cases, its range of tools is mostly used for construction, woodworking, and manufacturing roles. Several factors make their tools stand out.
They are light in weight, are very agile, and perform numerous kinds of applications at a time. You can never miss out on them at all if you claim to be a serious workman.
Best Dewalt Bench Grinder
|1||Metabo- 8" Bench Grinder - 3, 570 Rpm - 4.8 Amp (619200420 200), Bench Grinders||CHECK AT AMAZON|
|2||Metabo- 6" Bench Grinder - 3, 570 Rpm - 3.8 Amp (619150420 150), Bench Grinders||CHECK AT AMAZON|
Powertec pioneered the innovation and strength of the equipment. Headquartered in southern California, this manufacturer has a large footprint. This stems mainly from the reliable nature of its goods.
By all accounts, its tools are simple, easy to use, and great for everyday home use. You need not really be an expert to be able to employ them.
Best Metabo Bench Grinder
|1||POWERTEC BF600 Heavy Duty Bench Buffer, 6-Inch||CHECK AT AMAZON|
|2||POWERTEC BG800 Bench Grinder, 8-Inch||CHECK AT AMAZON|
JET is mostly for starters who have hardly attempted to use bench grinders before. The tools are lighter, comparatively easier to make use of and pretty efficient.
Also, you really need not have that much expertise to comprehend them. Only some mild knowledge of matters workmanship will do.
Best Jet Bench Grinder
|1||Jet 578008 1 hp 8 Industrial Bench Grinder||CHECK AT AMAZON|
|2||JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch Bench Grinder||CHECK AT AMAZON|
5. Abb Motors and Mechanical
Lastly comes the Abb Motors and Mechanical. Formerly called Baldor Electric Company, this brand is only for those industrial scale applications. That is due to the tough and strong nature of the products it produces.
If you own a workshop, you have no better companion than this one. This is where the tools shall come in and make your experience all the more worthwhile.
H.) Can you use a bench grinder on wood?
YES, you can! As stated earlier, this tool can sharpen, buff, polish, or shape any object, wood included!
We are now confident that you have what it takes to use the grinder well. As noted at the beginning, this device is prone to all kinds of safety issues. To be on the safe side, you want to take extra caution. Find an expert to walk with you in your early stages. Best of luck in your subsequent use of the device.
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API